[beports] Re: python2.5.2

  • From: Andreas Färber <andreas.faerber@xxxxxx>
  • To: beports@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 16:52:31 +0200

Hi Scott,

Am 15.08.2008 um 21:44 schrieb scott mc:

I was able to get python2.5.2 to build yesterday and posted an updated
portlog entry and updated Andreas patch, but not sure it's working
right, still need to try running some more tests.  Some things work,
others don't, not sure why yet.  I was able to use it to build pygame,
but pygame isn't working correctly either.

Unfortunately, http://ports.haiku-files.org/wiki/dev-lang/python/ 2.5.2/1 does not log what exactly the difference is between our patches. I did mine on the SVN branch, you presumably against the latest stable release. Did you add/remove anything, apart from config.* etc. and ld_so_haiku? The latter sounds like a good idea, we probably still had BeOS-compatible libnet when I created my patch. Some things in my patch were not too pretty (for upstream) but were added to quickly get it working.

I know we have different views on the workflow, so for the record there were/are already betas of 2.6. I have no idea how fast that is going to be declared stable, but then again I don't have any idea either how long it'd take to fix "everything". I did my patch on the 2.5.x branch to avoid the beta-ness as source of errors; currently I'm trying to push things out of my patch queue before the end of the month, so I might get a copy of the 2.6 branch (using Bazaar if it works?) and start applying the changes there so we can start getting some of them in. For your stable patch it shouldn't matter for instance whether Haiku is on a new line or not. And it does not seem possible to make all modules work on Haiku anytime soon because some features are simply not available, so I'd say any initial patches accepted for Haiku support would be good for us.

Andreas

--
HaikuPorts homepage - http://ports.haiku-files.org