[beports] Re: m4 and coreutils

  • From: "scott mc" <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: beports@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 11:25:49 -0700

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 2:42 AM, Andreas Färber <andreas.faerber@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Am 02.06.2008 um 11:23 schrieb Brecht Machiels:
>

>>> http://tools.assembla.com/BePorts/wiki/sys-devel/m4
>>
>> Can you please only include shell output inside {{{ }}}, and not your
>> comments? This would add to the readability.
>
> +1

Will do.  I'll fix ones I see as I pass back through them.

> Scott, have you checked fpurge.c over at gnulib? If that looks any better,
> you could just overwrite m4's local copy with theirs. If not, then the issue
> should be fixed in gnulib (like recently for stdbool.in.h).
>
> Also remember to check for any local fixes in the Haiku tree; some m4 used
> to be compiled for the Haiku image.
>
> Andreas

m4 failed to make due to the stdbool problem.  Fixed that and then it
stops on fpurge.c.
Commenting out the #error at the end of fpurge.c then let's you get to
the next failure which is freadahead.c.  Do the same to it and then we
fail at freading.c, mask that out and then it finishes building and
make install appears to work.

Looks like the m4 in haiku is a few years old...  The copyrights on
fpurge.c, freadahead.c, freading.c are 2007-2008 so it seems that
these are recent additions to the gnulib code?  Until a haiku port of
these 3+ files is done correctly m4, findutils, coreutils and perhaps
many more GNU utils will be affected.
Perhaps someone who knows Haiku better will know how to fix these?
fpurge for one is less than 150 lines of code:

There's been some discussions about them on the findutils mailing list
regarding other OSes:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/cgi-bin/namazu.cgi?query=fpurge&submit=Search&idxname=bug-findutils
Not sure that what the issue is here though.

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=gnulib.git;a=blob;f=lib/fpurge.c
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=gnulib.git;a=blob;f=lib/freadahead.c
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=gnulib.git;a=blob;f=lib/freading.c

m4 will then compile if you mask out those three errors and fix
stdbool.h, I haven't run any tests on it yet.  Findutils 4.5.0 errors
out on parser.c with a problem with origin not being declared before
use.  I'll try it again and post the exact details on the portlog page
for it.

I'll open a ticket to get fpurge.c, freadahead.c and freading.c
properly ported though.

-scottmc

--
BePorts homepage - http://tools.assembla.com/BePorts