[beports] Re: Ports not in Gentoo Portage

  • From: Brecht Machiels <brecht@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: beports@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 10:07:35 +0200

Hello Andreas,

On Sun, 2008-04-13 at 18:58 +0200, Andreas Färber wrote:
> Hello Brecht,
>
> As you might have noticed I've updated and added some pages,
> describing my progress or the dependency tree involved. I missed links
> back to the port category, so I've changed all pages and updated the
> template accordingly.

That is better, indeed.

> Have you thought about what to do in the rare case that a port is not
> in Gentoo Portage? WebKit is one such case. My suggestion would be to
> create custom categories and to prefix such categories with x- like
> IANA does; I checked this doesn't conflict with X, that's x11-.

No I haven't thought about that yet. I simply copied the Portage tree
layout as a convenience. I have wondered whether Portage has some sort
of naming convention, but I haven't been able to find anything on that.
Personally, I would just add WebKit to the appropriate category
(net-libs?). This would keep the BePorts tree somewhat intuitive.

Something unrelated now...
I might have been a bit too pessimistic about Haiku's progress when I
set up the BePorts website. That's why it's not called HaikuPorts.
Perhaps it's a good idea if I change the wiki pages to emphasize Haiku
ports (make Haiku the primary target)?

I have been trying to build Haiku on my PC (Ubuntu), but svn failed
twice to fetch the buildtools repository :/ It seemed to stall on the
same file on both tries. (It also stalled once on fetching the main
Haiku tree. A retry was successful though.) Is this a known problem with
Belios repositories?

Regards,
Brecht