[beports] Re: New to list

  • From: Andreas Färber <andreas.faerber@xxxxxx>
  • To: beports@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 19:43:23 +0200

Hi,

Welcome aboard!

Am 14.04.2008 um 18:41 schrieb scott mc:

I've started working on Haiku
ticket #1222 which is to check the packages included in Haiku to make
sure the copyrights that need to be included in AboutSystem are
included.  I noticed that a lot of the ones in the Haiku tree are also
on BePorts.  I'm not a developer (yet) but am watching to see where I
can help on on Haiku and other related side projects.  I've submitted
the first diff to update the AboutSystem.cpp file with some missing
copyrights, if anyone here sees any I missed feel free to let me know
which ones still need to be added and I'll include in it the next
round of updates.

http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/1222

While I personally don't know the full list of libraries and associated copyrights for Haiku, you could use your knowledge of that partial list to update the BePorts pages with missing ports, like I did for Perl:
http://tools.assembla.com/BePorts/wiki/dev-lang/perl#a5.10.0
The wording "external" there was chosen arbitrarily (I just needed some heading), the point is I linked to the patches in the Haiku repository so that we can easily review them and later integrate them with the BePorter tool.

Also, we were just discussing in which category to document Ryan's WebKit port.

If there's any specific things I can do to help out
with beports let me know what I can do.  I'm trying to get my laptop
back up and running with ubuntu so that I can setup a haiku build
system.  It's currently setup as a ubuntu64 machine which won't work
for building haiku.  Another option would be to use the vmware
developers image from haikuware.com as it already has all of the build
tools in place.

Apart from helping in the general port documentation effort as suggested above, with the Haiku "Development" Optional Package (added to build/jam/UserBuildConfig) you can just give some software of interest to you a try and report on how far you got. :-) The current tickets are more targeted at BeOS than at Haiku, since many of those are already running in recent versions on Haiku. Reminds me, we should set up a Wiki page with instructions for Haiku - will do so later.

Regards,

Andreas

I attended the LUGRadio show in San Francisco this past weekend for
Haiku, and there was a lot of interest in the project.

P.S. Did you mean Haiku or BePorts?

--
BePorts homepage - http://tools.assembla.com/BePorts