[beports] Re: Haiku APR Port

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: beports@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 May 2008 22:36:54 +0200

On 2008-05-06 at 18:19:15 [+0200], Andreas Färber <andreas.faerber@xxxxxx>
wrote:
> Am 06.05.2008 um 16:41 schrieb Ingo Weinhold:
> > On 2008-05-06 at 13:33:04 [+0200], Andreas Färber <andreas.faerber@xxxxxx
> > >
> > wrote:
> >> In some place in APR I already have disabled some more BeOS network
> >> code from within the beos dir. While perhaps inferior to your
> >> approach
> >> (which does require knowledge of Haiku's inner workings!), mine has
> >> the advantage of making it work at all today: Not all tests pass, but
> >> all my patches have been uploaded via my patched Subversion on Haiku,
> >> and virtually all repositories used for the various ports have been
> >> checked out under Haiku using the ported tools.
> >
> > That's nice, of course, though the R5 net server svn should also
> > work. At
> > least there have been reports that it is possible to crash Haiku
> > using it
> > for bigger checkouts. :-P
>
> It did not fully install&work at the time for me. Iirc its messings
> with Haiku's pipe file system (trying to replace /pipe) caused the
> package installation to fail. It also depended on flock_server.
> And I do hope there to be some differences between 1.1.3 and 1.4.8,
> including fixes for some CVEs. :-P You wouldn't honestly advise people
> to take the old version when they have the choice, would you.

No, in its current state I wouldn't advise people to use Haiku for any
serious work. For porting efforts it's kind of inevitable to do that,
though, and admittedly particularly then svn is very nice to have.

> But speaking of Subversion porting, I haven't devoted any time to
> Berkeley DB support. Sleepycat appears to be Oracle now, and I
> couldn't locate any source code repository to work against.

I don't think its worth the work to look into Berkeley DB support. IIRC the
subversion documentation recommends using their fsfs backend (which also is
the default when creating new repositories).

CU, Ingo

--
BePorts homepage - http://tools.assembla.com/BePorts