[beports] Re: Haiku APR Port

  • From: Andreas Färber <andreas.faerber@xxxxxx>
  • To: beports@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 13:33:04 +0200

Hello Ingo,

Welcome to our humble list!

Since you've just subscribed, could you please take a look at the list archive; I've posted a patch for review against gnulib (same as currently in our SVN and linked from the Wiki), disabling two BeOS #ifdef sections in stdbool.in.h. If there are no objections until tomorrow (when Scott should be back), I'll post it to the gnulib list.

Concerning your POSIX quest, one question: I had the impression that Haiku's native threading mechanism is the Be one and that pthreads were only a wrapper around the Be implementation, added later for POSIX compatibility. Is this impression wrong, i.e. is it "safe" and just as performant to switch native Be code to generic Unix code where both exist? I thought I heard Axel saying the Be threads were superior to pthreads... (if that were the case, you couldn't dump APR's beos directories completely but would need to extend my approach of #include'ing the generic Unix files from within the BeOS directories)

In some place in APR I already have disabled some more BeOS network code from within the beos dir. While perhaps inferior to your approach (which does require knowledge of Haiku's inner workings!), mine has the advantage of making it work at all today: Not all tests pass, but all my patches have been uploaded via my patched Subversion on Haiku, and virtually all repositories used for the various ports have been checked out under Haiku using the ported tools. But thanks for notifying us of your plans, then I assume I should not post APR/neon/Subversion patches upstream for now? Or did you already spot some things that can be shared between the two porting approaches? (Not sure what you refer to as smooth, it did take some time for some simply, undisputable BeOS patches to be committed, as posted recently.)

I certainly welcome any POSIX work of yours on Haiku, I guess I'm gonna need it for Mono!

Please keep us up-to-date on your progress, I'll add an entry to the APR Wiki page later on and would like to link to your patches, assuming you'll post them in Haiku SVN. Your APR 1.0.1 patch we could either link to or archive in our SVN.

Andreas

Am 06.05.2008 um 06:34 schrieb Ingo Weinhold:

Howdy,

seems I've finally managed to sub-scribe (greetings ecartis!) to the list. :-) Some might already know me. I've been one of the Haiku developers since
2002. My fields of activity have been manifold, reaching from generic
kernel work to GUI layout management. About two months ago I've started to port the tool chain that is required for developing Haiku under Haiku. So far gcc, binutils, Perl, most of the auto tools, OpenSSL, and OpenSSH are
done (respectively in a state at least as good as they were for BeOS).

My current project is Subversion and its dependencies. I've begun looking
into APR today. I'd like to approach it from a different angle than
Andreas, though. Instead of making use of the already contained BeOS code,
I'd rather extend Haiku's POSIX compatibility and use the generic Unix
code. AFAICT the main features missing are POSIX semaphores and shared
memory. I've already made some progress with the former today, and I don't see any serious problems with POSIX shared memory either. Hopefully I'm not
too optimistic. :-)

CU, Ingo

PS: In case anyone is interested, I've still got a BeOS R5 net server patch
against APR 1.0.1 (which is the version included in the "jam" package
downloadable from Haiku's website). It weighs in about 90 KB and I can't tell, if any part of it has made its way into newer versions. I tried to send it upstream at that time, but when that didn't go as smoothly as I
hope, I stopped to bother as BeOS isn't really a platform I'm much
interested in anymore.

--
BePorts homepage - http://tools.assembla.com/BePorts