[beleriand] status?

  • From: Jon Bender <jbender@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: beleriand@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 19:39:33 -0500

  You probably haven't noticed this, but I killed the mud on
bb14.betterbox.net.  As soon as I finish going over a few things, I'm going
to upload lima1.0a9 and a newer driver.  I'll probably do that in a few
hours.  Object creation is a bit different there, but IMHO it is easier
and more flexible.  I don't think we, or anyone else, should
have any problems adjusting to that.  It also has a really
really nice shell for wizards.  Its very reminiscent of a
unix shell, as it allows you to pipe data from one command
to another (ls | grep somefile) and send it to a file (ls >
log).
  Lima also has a very nice autodoc system.  Basically, an
autodoc daemon runs at boot time and a given time, which scans
all of the files for comments of a certain type.  Once it is
up, look at /help/wizard/autodoc for the commenting rules.
I think we should make this required for everything, if
feasible. :P
  Lima also has something called lpscript, which I am not
very familiar with, unfortunately.  I haven't really tried
looking for documentation on it yet, though.  I'll put that
on my todo list though.  When I find something, I'll upload
it.  Most of what I have found has to do with something
completely different. :)  Curuntar probably knows a bit more
about it, though.
  One of the things we'll need to do is create a list of
things we want to do with this mud, the features, policies
and rules we want to have.  Once we do that, we can
prioritize everything, then determine what needs to be
modified, coded from scratch, removed completely, etc.
There is a lot to be done, but I don't think it will be as
bad as it would have been if we'd stayed with TMI-2.
  Something else we'll have to decide, which is probably
more important then anything else, is theme.  In the past,
we've talked about going with a Tolkien based theme, set in
the first age, as well as creating our own world.  Both of
these have their advantages and disadvantages.  On the one
hand, a Tolkien based theme gives us the advantage of
starting out with a very good, well known and consistent
theme.  On the other hand, it does limit us in several ways.
With a homebrew theme, it will obviously only be limited by
our imaginations, but at the same time, it will be difficult
to make it as consistent and well thought out as Tolkien's
world.

  On another note, I've finished going through the
configuration for lima, so I'll be uploading it in a few
minutes.  As a reminder, you connect to bb14.betterbox.net:9898.

  Also, I've just emailed Eol, asking if he'd like to be
involved.

  And /one/ more thing :)  You can view an archive of this
list at: //www.freelists.org/archives/beleriand/ :)

--
|jbender@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|