[bcbirdclub] interesting bird day

  • From: Daryl Owens <daryl.owens@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Buchanan County Bird Club <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 May 2013 21:08:35 -0400

    Started the day off with a great bird this morning.  When I got to the
jobsite I was working at in the Indian Creek section of the Council area, I
noticed what I thought was a Robin perched on a berm while searching for a
Black and White Warbler I was hearing.  I almost dismissed it and didn't look,
but was glad I didn't when I saw the beatiful female American Kestrel looking
back at me.  The day was filled with Warbler and Vireo sounds as well.  This
evening when I arrived home (the first thing I do when I pull into the driveway
is check the bird feeders) I saw a handsome male Rose-breasted Grosbeak on the
feeder and a brightly plumed Baltimore Oriole on the suet feeder.  I few
minutes later, while preparing to mow the lawn, I saw a group of crows mobbing
a raptor in the distance.  I ran to the house to get my binoculars and what I
saw was a Coopers Hawk being chased away by the mob.  After finishing the lawn
I was scanning the skies above and spotted a Red-tailed Hawk circling high
above.  I thought that the falcon, accipiter and buteo "hat-trick" made for a
pretty cool day indeed.

Daryl O