[bcbirdclub] Yellow Warbler Plumage

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Buchanan County Bird Club" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 20:05:41 -0400

Hi All,
At the club meeting last night I was talking about how the plumage of the
Yellow Warblers that I am seeing in my yard now is so different from that of
the breeding pairs I saw here early in the spring. I was wondering if I am
seeing adults that are molting or juvenile birds. Bob Riggs' opinion was that
the birds I am seeing now are probably juveniles.

Here are some photos of the ones that have been coming to the stream lately.
The color seems muted. The eyes seem larger and there are no distinctive
markings except on the wings.

Roger Mayhorn

JPEG image

JPEG image