[bcbirdclub] Yard Birds

  • From: "David & Susan Raines" <rainbrk@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 20:57:24 -0500

For the last 5 or 6 years I have been freezng a couple of bags of poke berries
to put out in the feeders during winter. Yesterday I put some of the pods of
berries in the platform feeders & as an after-thought I threw several into the
bushes near the feeders. Some of these became entangled in the branches &
looked fairly natural hanging there. This morning I was extremely pleased to
see a Hermit Thrush feeding on some poke berries hanging in the Quince near the
feeder. A few minutes later a Brown Thrasher joined the Thrush ! The Thrasher
was seen later on the platform feeder enjoying more of the purple fruit.
Cardinals have also been enjoying the berries & I expect Bluebirds any day. Oh
yes, by the way, I now can count the Long-billed Curlew as a yard bird. My son
& I watched it through our scope from our yard on Friday! Dave R/Breaks