[bcbirdclub] Wood Ducks

  • From: "Mike Sanders" <hawk036@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 May 2011 10:40:41 -0400

A quick look out the window this morning revealed the female is still in the
box. This will be the 8th day she has been in the box. I guess its apparent
now that she is sitting on eggs, although I didn't think she would hang
around due to the hustle and bustle in my back yard from my 4 year old
twins. I read that incubation takes 25-37 days and is carried out by the
female. I hope she hangs around and has a brood. I will check the box in a
week or so to see how many eggs she has. This box has had Starlings
(unfortunatly), Squirrels, Eastern Screech Owls, and now Wood Ducks. I was
hoping for Owls again but Wood Ducks are good.

I havent seen the male since April 24th, does he hang around or leave the
scene after mating?

Michael W Sanders

Bristol, VA