[bcbirdclub] White-throated Sparrow

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2011 22:24:37 -0400

The White-throated Sparrows are still coming to the feeders, though I believe,
as David Raines suggested, that the birds we are seeing now have come from
farther south and are just passing through on their way to their winter nesting
grounds in the Northern U.S. and Canada. I am hearing them singing all or parts
of their song which sounds as if they are saying "Poor old Sam Peabody,
Peabody, Peabody." Enjoy them while you can in their breeding plumage. The late
day for them here in the county is May 8.

The bird in this photo is certainly dressed for courtship when he gets to where
he is going.