[bcbirdclub] Whip-poor-will, Worm-eating, Ovenbird, and more in Buchanan County

  • From: Michelle Talbott <mjtalbott625@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Buchanan County Bird Club <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Bristol Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Virginia Birds <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 07:56:05 -0700 (PDT)

Ed and I had a thrill, and a life bird, this morning when we saw a
Whip-poor-will on a hike at Caney Island Branch, a hollow near our home. The
bird flew directly in front of my face, gave a single-noted call, and then flew
down the hill and disappeared into some brush. I identified the bird as a
Whip-poor-will, and a quick check of the Sibley confirmed my call.

  We also found six species of warblers this morning. A Worm-eating Warbler and
an Ovenbird were FOS birds for us this spring, and we also saw and/or heard
three Black-and-whites, two Black-throated Greens, a Yellow-throated, and a
Yellow-rumped Warbler.

  Other species included the following birds:

  Tufted Titmouse
  Carolina Chickadee
  American Goldfinch
  Eastern Bluebird