[bcbirdclub] Western/Clark's Grebe At Claytior Lake

  • From: Herdfanmark@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, NRVBirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 00:21:06 EST

Greetings,
                 @ 8:00 am I saw a bird flying north along the far ridge
line of my area of  C Lake. At first- I thought cormorant or loon. The bird
then wheeled around and  headed back south, as I gained further looks of the
bird via  10 power through my Nikon EIIs ( a great porro - prism by the  way)
 The first thing that I noticed was that the  bird had a very long - skinny
neck in relation to it's body & a  long thin bill,  it was a larger bird
(Loon sized but not as  robust), and it had white from the base of the bill
to the tip of it's  tail on the underside bordered by black( or slate gray)
on top - with feet  obviously trailing behind the no-tail configuration.    I
have no  prior experience with this species but it was obvious to me that
it was  a Western type Long - Necked Grebe.
                 I  later made a search for this bird & drove to several
locations along  the lake in an attempt it to relocate & possibly  photograph
the bird ( knowing my chances were slim to nil) I continued  on to Paradise
Point where I found a concentration of at least 40 pied-billed  grebe ( the
largest group I have personally seen in my 10  plus years since I've lived
here ). Yet, no Western! - I proceeded  further north up the gravel road &
found at least 400 Lesser  Scaup & a few Bufflehead & No Western Grebe!  I
failed in  relocating the bird today.
                 This Genus" Aechmorphorus" has been reported for the last
2 year here  at Claytor lake in fall migration!.  Also 1 Adult Herring Gull.

                   Sorry for the multiple postings of the Rusty Blackbirds
from yesterday, I am  experiencing technical difficulties!

Good Birding
Mark Mullins
Claytor Lake, Va