[bcbirdclub] Western Kingbird in Breaks, VA

  • From: "David & Susan Raines" <rainbrk@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2007 21:50:42 -0400

Had a lucky find on Happy Hollow Rd today. Driving toward our home I spotted
several birds on the power lines that cross over my neighbor's cow pasture. I
slowed and could tell there were several Mourning Doves and some smaller birds
as well. I stopped and scanned with my binocs and quickly found a couple of
bluebirds and some goldfinches and then to my great surprise sitting all alone
on the bottom wire was a Western Kingbird! I was able to observe this bird for
several minutes. Through 12X binoculars at about 250 ft I could see the light
gray back & head with black eye & bill, the white throat,yellow belly & black
tail. I rushed on home to check my field guide to make sure it wasn't a
Tropical or a Cassin's. When I went back to relocate the bird I couldn't find
it. I searched the Breaks community a couple of times during the day with no
luck.
Dave Raines
Breaks,VA