[bcbirdclub] Warblers, Egret Osprey, etc - Rockcastle Co, KY

  • From: Ed Talbott <aquilaet@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: BCBC Listserve <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2013 18:21:17 -0700 (PDT)

Buchanan Birders,

Michelle, Chazzy and I spent the day exploring different parts of Rockcastle
County, KY. Our first stop was Lake Linville, where I had spotted a Bald Eagle
with nesting material yesterday, but we never relocated the eagle. Instead we
located at least three Osprey, a Great Egret (with beautiful green lores),
several Blue-winged Teal, Wood Ducks, and both Tree and Barn Swallows. Our next
stop was one of our favorite hikes along Horse Lick Creek. As soon as we parked
the truck we heard the distinctive call of the Louisiana Waterthrush across the
stream. A little further up the stream we found a couple Black-and-white and
Yellow-throated Warblers. Wildflowers were everywhere and there were numerous
butterflies, bees and other insects inspecting them. Michelle thought she heard
a Gnatcatcher but we could never get a visual on the bird. Later in the day we
decided to gain some elevation and located our first Blue-headed Vireo and
Black-throated Green Warbler
 of the season. It was a great spring day to be out in nature.

For those interested, here is a link to our hike/bird pictures:
http://www.pbase.com/aquilaet/rock4

Ed Talbott
Richmond, KY