[bcbirdclub] Warbler Day on Compton Mt - Sept 13

  • From: roger mayhorn <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bcbirdclub <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 20:44:34 -0400 (EDT)

Our annual Warbler Day on Compton Mt will take place this year on Saturday,
September 13. For those who don't know about it, it is a day when my wife Lynda
and I invite birders to our property on Compton Mt in Buchanan County Va to
watch with us as many fall migrants pass through our yard and fields on their
way southward. There is no charge, but we do ask that those coming contact us
to reserve a spot because we are limited in the number of birders that we can
comfortably accomodate. Birders sit or walk around our yard and watch fall
warblers come down to bathe in our small yard stream or watch as the birds feed
in the trees and shrubs around the property.

A free lunch is served but birders are asked to bring a lawn or camp chair and
their own soft drink.
September 13 is a good day for warblers at our place because that is about the
peak of the migration. I usually start seeing warblers coming into our yard
around August 24 or 25, and the numbers continue to grow each day until about
the middle of September. By the end of September the warbler migration slows
dramatically.

If you plan to join us, please reply to this post so I can add your name to the
list. If you need directions let me know. Warbler Day is always a great day of
birding.