[bcbirdclub] Re: Warbler Day Results

  • From: Daryl Owens <daryl.owens@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "<rogermayhorn@xxxxxxxxx>" <rogermayhorn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 15:07:56 +0000

Thanks to Roger and especially Lynda for all their hard work! I had a
wonderful time as always!

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 15, 2015, at 10:43 AM, Roger Mayhorn
<rogermayhorn@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:rogermayhorn@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

[cid:image004.jpg@01D0EFA3.4B2F4080][cid:image005.jpg@01D0EFA3.4B2F4080]<image008.jpg>

This past Saturday, Sept. 12, Lynda and I hosted our 11th annual Warbler Day
here on Compton Mountain. In spite of off and on rain the day was a great
success with birders from Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee and
North Carolina logging 59 bird species with 16 of those being warblers. The
total number of individual birds of all species observed was 536. The most
numerous warbler for the day was the Tennessee pictured above numbering 38,
but probably many many more that we didn't see, or were passing through so fast
we couldn't identify them. A first of the season lone Palm Warbler showed up
near the end of the day, and was spotted by Dave Raines. The most numerous bird
of the day was the Scarlet Tanager with 82 being counted. A pleasant surprise
was 2 Summer Tanagers, a species we don't see very often in the county. A
special thanks to my wife Lynda for all of her hard work in preparing for this
day and for the delicious meal. Thanks also to those who brought food to add to
the meal. A great big Thank You to Dawn Carrier for her wonderful Carrot Cake.
Dawn has made a cake for our annual Warbler Day for several years now, and they
are always delicious, as well as beautiful. Thanks also to those who brought
gifts. They were much appreciated. The day was a fun day with lots of good
birds, good food and lots of laughter. What more could we ask for.
Below is the complete species list for the day.

59 species

Pied-billed Grebe 1

Wild Turkey 39

Turkey Vulture 5