[bcbirdclub] War Fork Birding - Elk Country

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 May 2013 23:01:11 -0400

Nine Buchanan County Bird Club members and youngsters today enjoyed the
hospitality of the Buchanan County chapter of the Rocky Mountain Elk
Foundation. The group was invited to visit the elk habitat on War Fork in
Buchanan County. We were met at the gate by Leon Boyd, president of the
Buchanan County chapter. After leading us to the top of the mountain where we
could see a large area of primarily flat grassland Leon answered questions
concerning the herd of elk at the site, and of the additional elk that are to
be brought into the area this month. The elk were down in one of the valleys
and were not visible, but we were able to bird the area and we weren't
disappointed in spite of some breezy conditions. Grasshopper Sparrows seemed to
be singing from nearly every tiny shrub or tall blade of grass. Horned Larks
were singing and putting on courting displays. Yellow-breasted Chats, Indigo
Buntings and White-eyed Vireos could be heard at the edges of the fields. One
of the highlights was the sighting of a Solitary Sandpiper standing in a large
mudpuddle that gave us a great opportunity for photos. At lunch time we found a
quiet spot near a small pond and had sandwiches for lunch with Lynda Mayhorn's
homemade chocolate and carrot cake cake balls, which everyone seemed to enjoy.

We totaled 34 species for the day. We would like to thank Leon Boyd and the
Buchanan County Chapter of the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation for allowing us
access to the area.
The complete list follows.

34 species

Turkey Vulture 1