[bcbirdclub] Very, very late report on Russell County Bird Club Elk Garden, Clifton Farms Trip

  • From: Thomas Hunter <opiehunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, buchanan co bc <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2014 06:47:10 -0800 (PST)

On January 12th the Russell County Bird Club held it's annual field trip to the
Elk Garden, Corn Valley, Clifton Farm area of Russell County. I apologize for
the late post but we were in Costa Rica for 12 days and it has been hectic
since we returned.
The field trip was led by Tom Hunter and lunch was served at the home of
Laverne and Tom Hunter. It was a great day for raptors including great looks at
a magnificent juvenile Golden Eagle. We saw at least 6 Golden Eagles, 2
Merlins, several Red-tailed Hawks, Rough-legged Hawk, Red-shouldered, Northern
Harrier, Sharp-shinned Hawk, Cooper's Hawk, and American Kestrel. We saw the
possible woodpeckers except Red-headed, and we had 4 duck species including
Gadwall and Wigeon.
The Golden Eagles were life birds for Alyssa Owens, daughter of Daryl Owens.
Several other people had life bird looks at the Golden Eagles.
There were 17 participants: Don Carrier, Jessica Duty, Peggy Herbert, Sheri
Hiter & John Kelly, Hutch, Tom & Laverne Hunter, Roger Mayhorn, Dick Moose &
Judy Musick Moose, Jean Montgomery, Daryl Owens & Alyssa Owens, Marcia Pruner,
David Raines and Dave Worley.
The group tallied 54 species. A complete list is available at
http://rcbirds.org/ under trip reports.

Tom Hunter
Russell County Bird Club
Lebanon, VA