[bcbirdclub] Unusual Yellow-rump Behavior

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 09:20:14 -0400

Hi All,
Monday, the 28th was an interesting day here on Compton Mt. The male Blue
Grosbeak that came in on Sunday was still coming to the feeders along with a
male Rose-breasted Grosbeak. A male Hooded Warbler came in to the yard pond. A
pair of American Redstarts came to bathe in the pond stream. The resident
Cooper's Hawk made a couple of passes through the yard during the day.

The most interesting activity was that of a pair of Yellow-rumped Warblers.
After coming into the yard they dropped down into the grass and the male picked
up a feather. He carried it for a few hops then dropped it to pick up another,
longer one. There were several feathers in the yard thanks to the hawk. This
went on for a few minutes with both birds picking up feathers or feather tufts.
I thought at first they might be gathering nesting material, but they never
carried anything away. Maybe this was pre-nesting behavior with the birds
feeling the urge to prepare a nest, or maybe it was a courtship activity that
would eventually lead to mating and nesting. I welcome any insight or comments.
Has anyone else seen this behavior before?
Photos of the activity can be seen at  http://www.pbase.com/mayhorn/yr_behavior

Photos of the Blue Grosbeak and some of the other yard visitors can be found at
http://www.pbase.com/mayhorn/compton_mt_4_28_08