[bcbirdclub] Unusual Duck

  • From: roger mayhorn <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bcbirdclub <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 21:18:12 -0400 (EDT)

This unusual duck photo was sent to me. It  was photographed on Slate Creek
near Buchanan General Hospital.
It is obviously a hybrid, likely a Mallard and some other species. I am told  i
t is mating with a female Mallard. They have a nest with 11 eggs. It will be
interesting to see what the their offspring look like.  Does anyone want to
venture a guess as to what the other species might be? The blue bill would
suggest a Ruddy Duck, but that doesn't seem likely since Ruddies are so small
and really uncommon in the area.  I welcome any comments.