[bcbirdclub] Unusual Caterpillar

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 23:53:31 -0400

About three weeks ago I was at the Mendota Hawk Watch site when Bob Riggs
called me over to show me an unusual looking caterpillar. When I disturbed it,
it assumed a posture that made its head appear larger. I photographed it and
later found out that it is the orange version (normally green) of the Spicewood
Swallowtail Butterfly caterpillar  Papilio troilus. The large eye spots and
fake mouth are evidently for scaring off predators.
The third and final photo is an adult Spicebush Swallowtail.