[bcbirdclub] Unusual Breaks Birds

  • From: "David and Susan Raines" <rainbrk@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2015 21:41:28 -0400

Returned home at 3:30 this afternoon to find some interesting birds around our
home. Three Solitary Sandpipers were poking around the temporary pond in our
front yard. While taking some pics of them a Green Heron dropped in and stayed
just long enough for one pic. In checking the ponding across the creek I
located 3 more Solitarys and 3 Blue-winged Teal and a female Northern Shoveler.
The Shoveler is a new addition for our home list! A Black-billed Cuckoo called
several times from a boundary of trees near my neighbor's house but I could
never get a look. Susan came home with news of 3 large white wading birds at
Willowbrook Country Club. Luckily, I was able to find them and ID them as Great
Egrets. There were also 3 Ring-billed Gulls at Willowbrook. White-crowned
Sparrows and a Rose-breasted Grosbeak were also present at our place. I guess
last night's storm and migration are responsible for this activity. Can't wait
to see what I can find in the morning!

DaveR/Breaks,VA