[bcbirdclub] Unusual Birds

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 23:18:46 -0400

Hi All,
This morning was a time for unusual birds at our place here on the mountain.
The first surprise was a Red-eyed Vireo. The latest date we have for this
species is October 2, 2004 when Ed Talbott III and I saw one at Enoch's Branch
near Grundy.

The second surprise was a juvenile Red-headed Woodpecker that flew overhead
then landed momentarily in a locust tree. I did manage a photo before it left.
David Raines had one fly over his place a few days ago. We only get to see
these birds in the area during fall migration.

The third surprise later in the day was a female Ruby-throated Hummingbird at
our feeder. This is not a late date for the area, but it is late for us to see
one on the mountain.
Here are a couple of photos of the vireo and the woodpecker.

JPEG image

JPEG image