[bcbirdclub] Uncommon Birds for Breaks Park

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 20:59:01 -0400

After talking last night David Raines and I decided we would hike and bird the
Bike Trail in the Breaks Park this morning. We started about 8:30 with misty
fog and gray skies threatening rain. Lots of birds were on the move, possibly
because of that. The highlight of the morning was when we saw a vee of 18 birds
silhouetted against the light gray clouds. As they flew overhead we realized
they were not geese but Double-crested Cormorants, definitely an unusual
species for this area.  At the same time in another part of the sky were two
Great Blue Herons flying with a Great Egret, another uncommon species. Earlier
at the beaver pond we had found another uncommon species, a Green Heron. A few
minutes after that an Osprey had flown over.

During the morning we also found 5 warbler species, a late hummer, 2
Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers, Cedar Waxwings, Wood Thrushes and Rose-breasted
Grosbeaks. We counted 40 species for the day. Below is the complete list.

Wood Duck 1m

Double-crested Cormorant 18

Great Blue Heron 6

Great Egret 1