[bcbirdclub] Trapped Hummer

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 07:35:34 -0400

Lynda and I came home yesterday evening to find this little Ruby-throat trapped
between two of our upstairs windows. The windows were partially open and
evidently the little fella had come inside, and when he tried to leave he flew
against the pane, then fell down between the two windows where he was trapped.

We don't know how long he was there, but he seemed pretty exhausted when we
took him out. He didn't even try to fly.
We took him outside and poked his bill into a drinking port on a hummer feeder,
then perched him there. After a few minutes he began to open his wings and buzz
a bit.

He finally flew up from the feeder and perched on a twig where I took this
picture. A few minutes later another male came zipping at him and he flew away,
being chased by the other male.

JPEG image