[bcbirdclub] The last of the Warblers

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 07:34:06 -0400

Hi All,
The warblers and other migrants are becoming fewer as we get closer to
mid-October.  We haven't seen a hummer in the last couple of days. Yesterday I
had 33 species including another Philadelphia Vireo and a couple of White-eyed
Vireos, which have been scarce up here this year, though I know David Raines
has been seeing some at his place. I photographed a juvenile male Common
Yellowthroat that has a lot of brown on his head - photos below.
Here are the highlights of the day:

American Redstart 2 (1m, 1f)
Bay-breasted Warbler 1
Magnolia Warbler 2
Yellow-rumped Warbler 2
Brown Thrasher 1
Common Yellowthroat 2 (1juv m, 1f)
Gray Catbird 6
Indigo Bunting 4f
Philadelphia Vireo 1
White-eyed Vireo 2
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 2

Notice that the brown doesn't show as much from the side view. Notice also the
gray cheeks which are the beginnings of his black mask as an adult.

JPEG image

JPEG image