[bcbirdclub] The Killer Freeze

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Buchanan County Bird Club" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 22:52:05 -0400

Hi All,
I was talking with Johnnie Ratliff, and he was telling me that after that last
freeze he found two dead Tree Swallows, two dead hummingbirds and some dead
cowbirds on his property near Grundy. If that is the case, then we can only
imagine how many warblers and other early migrants were lost to the cold
throughout the area.

Lynda and I went up to Poplar Gap Park today to repair a bluebird nest box.
While there we heard one Black-and-white Warbler, one Blue-gray Gnatcatcher and
a singing Carolina Wren. I don't think I have ever experienced the woods this
quiet at this time of year before.

We had two hummers at the feeders this evening. Larry Pinson of Whitley City in
southeastern KY wrote to tell me that he also got hummers today. He also has
his first brood of baby bluebirds.

We had a female Purple Finch today, two yesterday, and the Rose-breasted
Grosbeak came back several times to feed on sunflower seed throughout the day.

Our Yellow-throated Warbler continues to sing in the backyard.