[bcbirdclub] The Ides of March

  • From: "David and Susan Raines" <rainbrk@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2014 21:55:30 -0400

Wish I could have joined the Carbo birding trip, but I did get to check a
couple of local spots here in Breaks. The Garden Hole area on the Russell Fork
River had 5Mallards, 3 Hooded Mergansers and 12 Wood Ducks and one very active
Mink enjoying the water. I spotted the mink on some rocks near the middle of
the river. I watched it go for a swim & climb out on another large rock & then
disappear in the green water of the river. A pair of Hairy Woodpeckers worked
through a stand of poplars near the river and Pileated Woodpecker, Crow &
Turkey Vulture were also noted.
Laurel Lake only hosted a single male Ruddy Duck. A few Juncos and Robins were
around the lake shelter. The Beaver Pond held 6 Wood Ducks and the area
produced a phoebe, flicker, 4 TV's more robins and juncos. The park also gave
me looks at a fly-over raven and a large Turkey gobbler. Other birds noted in
the breaks today included; Red-sh Hawk, Grackle,Red-wings,Brown
Thrasher,Mockingbird, Bluebird, Cardinal, Towhee and other common feeder birds.
DaveR/Breaks