[bcbirdclub] The Curlew draws more visitors

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 23:08:30 -0500

Hi All,
Yesterday, the 28th, Lynda and I met Don Carrier at the Breaks to view the
curlew. As you saw from Don's wonderful photo we got fantastic looks at the
bird. Today Lynda and I escorted John and Thelma Dalmas of Lynchburg from
Grundy to the Breaks to see the bird. There we were joined by David Raines.
While we were watching the curlew as it fed in the field four hawks, two
Red-shouldered and two Red-tails, began circling and calling. The curlew,
obviously
agitated to have four hawks circling and calling overhead, took to the air,
giving its two note call as it went. It circled very high and finally took
off over the ridge in a westerly direction. We thought it was leaving, but
within 5 minutes we heard it calling. We looked up to see it with wings
fixed and long bill pointed forward, gliding in from the opposite direction.
It flew right over us and settled back into the field and began to feed.

Lynda and I stayed for awhile after David, John and Thelma left. The bird fed
not
far from the edge of the field where we were standing. The light was good,
and I was able to get a little better photo than yesterday's. For those
interested it can be seen at http://www.pbase.com/mayhorn/image/107578591

Four other birders from Roanoke also drove down to see the bird today. They got
great looks at it also.
Tomorrow, Fenton Day, another birder from Richmond is driving down to see the
curlew. I also received an e-mail this evening from another Virginia birder who
wants to come to see it. This bird, being so far from its normal home range,
has become a celebrity. If you haven't seen it you should try to before it
leaves. Ed Bailey and his neighbors, the Looneys, have given permission for
birders to come to see this unusual bird. This species will probably not be
seen again in this area during our lifetime. I can give directions to anyone
who wants them.