[bcbirdclub] Re: Swallows and Ground Bees

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <aquilaet@xxxxxxxxx>, "Buchanan Birds" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 09:21:15 -0400

Ed and The Rest,
Congratulations on the Rough-winged Swallows and as usual the great photos.

Regarding the Tree Swallows losing out to the Bluebirds, Dave Raines and I were
discussing just the other day, that we have noticed on the Bluebird trails,
that the Tree Swallows don't start nesting quite as early as the Bluebirds. One
option is to put up a second box for the Swallows. The two species won't allow
their own species to nest close by, but they will allow others. Tree Swallows
will also drive off House Sparrows that will kill Bluebirds and take over their
boxes.