[bcbirdclub] Spring Birds on Compton Mountain

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 23:29:16 -0400

Greetings All,
This was a birdy day here on Compton Mt. It started with our FOS (first of the
season) pair of Orchard Orioles coming down to the stream in the yard. Shortly
after that our FOS Rose-breasted Grosbeak arrived. Three males came to the
sunflower seeds. A few minutes later our FOS Indigo Bunting came in to feed,
then our FOS Gray Catbird came in to the suet feeder. Add in our FOS Red-eyed
Vireo, our FOS (here on the mountain) Hooded Warblers, a couple of Ovenbirds,
Yellow Warblers, Pine Siskins, a Swamp Sparrow, and a White-throated Sparrow in
bright spring colors and you get an idea of what the activity was like around
the yard.
In the field a pair of Flickers were excavating a nest hole. This morning we
had 4 hummers, but by this evening there were 12 hummers at our two feeders.

In an around the yard I counted 41 species. For those interested the list
follows. I took several photos. They can be found at
http://www.pbase.com/mayhorn/spring_birds

Buchanan County

American Goldfinch 2

American Robin 2

Blackburnian Warbler 1

Blue Jay 5

Brown-headed Cowbird 7 (4m, 3f)

Brown Thrasher 2

Carolina Chickadee 2

Carolina Wren 2

Cedar Waxwing 8

Chipping Sparrow 4

Common Grackle 1

Downy Woodpecker 1

Eastern Bluebird 2 (1m, 1f)

Eastern Towhee 2

European Starling 2

Hooded Warbler 2m

House Finch 2 (1m, 1f)

Gray Catbird 1

Indigo Bunting 1m

Mourning Dove 4

Northern Cardinal 3 (2m, 1f)

Northern Flicker 2 (1m, 1f) excavating nesting hole

Northern Mockingbird 1

Orchard Oriole 2 (1m, 1f) at the yard stream

Ovenbird 2

Pine Siskin 12

Red-bellied Woodpecker 1f

Red-eyed Vireo 1