[bcbirdclub] Spring Arrivals Including a Bald Eagle

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 23:52:06 -0400

I received a call on Thursday from Dr. Clint Sutherland of Grundy to tell me
that his wife, Faith, had seen an adult Bald Eagle flying overhead at the
Buchanan General Hospital in Grundy on Tuesday. It was last year on March 20th
that Dr Sutherland saw a Bald Eagle at the Bend of Slate Creek near Grundy.
Keep looking. The next sighting might be yours.

David Raines had his first of the season Tree Swallows flying over his place in
the Breaks community yesterday. Lynda and I stopped by there on our way to the
Breaks Park where we hoped to locate some spring migrants including Pine
Warblers, Black-and-White Warblers and Blue-headed Vireos. We didn't find any,
but they should start arriving any day now.

We did see one of our first butterflies of the season, a Mourning Cloak. This
particular butterfly has dark brown wings, with the outer edge being a light,
yellowish white. There is a row of blue spots just outside the lighter area.
You can see a photo of a Mourning Cloak at this address
http://www.statesymbolsusa.org/IMAGES/Montana/MourningCloakButterfly.jpg  The
Mourning Cloak's name comes from the Swedish name sorgmantel, which in English
means Mourning Cloak. I suppose some immigrant Scandinavians gave the species
its name. This is one of the first butterflies to pass through the area on its
northward migration,so the chances are good that you will see one this time of
the year.