[bcbirdclub] "Spark" Bird

  • From: daryl.owens <daryl.owens@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 'Buchanan County' <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2013 20:00:35 -0500

Hey everyone,

I saw two American Kestrels yesterday while working and was reminded that this
was the bird that sparked my interest in birds and birding. I saw the article
in my local newspaper about this bird (Squirt) that was rescued by my now great
friend Roger Mayhorn and was completely mesmerized by his photos of this
striking bird.  I remember wondering how this beautiful bird had eluded me all
these years?  I had fancied myself a pretty knowledgeable outdoorsman but here
was this awesome animal that I knew nothing of.  I was later further humbled to
find there was a whole avian world out there to which I  was completely
oblivious.  Well I'm glad to report that I've since began my education in the
field of ornithology and have learned a great deal and still have much, much
more to learn.  And to think it all started with this colorful little falcon.
I'd like to ask everyone on this listserve to post your story about your
"spark" or "wow" bird.  I think they'll make for some great stories.  I hope
that this is not inappropriate material for the listserve as it is not entirely
about bird sightings.  If so I beg pardon in advance.

Thanks,

Daryl Owens