[bcbirdclub] South Holston Birding

  • From: Michael Sanders <hawk036@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Buchanan County Birdclub <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2015 14:19:00 -0400

I went to South Holston Lake this morning. I was able to relocate the Eared
Grebe from the other day, I am not sure that this fellow can fly yet as I read
in my digital field guide iBird Pro that they are "For perhaps 9 to 10 months
each year this species is flightless; this is the longest flightless period of
any bird in the world capable of flight at all.” And the fact that it never
flew while I was photographing it, I was able to get the boat within 15 ft of
it and it would dive occasionally but never took flight. Wow, so if this is
true it makes one wonder how long this species is actually on South Holston
Lake each year. If they arrive in early winter, lets say November, that still
puts them here well into early summer. Any way just some info I read. I was
able to get a few photos of it and 2 separate Ospreys I found today. The link
is http://www.msandersphotography.com/grebe for those interested. I also saw
several Common Loons in breeding plumage, an Adult Bald Eagle, Bonaparte and
Ring-billed Gulls. Very nice day to be out birding..

Mike Sanders
Bristol, VA