[bcbirdclub] "Snow" Birds

  • From: "Jerry Thornhill" <birder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 16:41:55 -0500

I had my largest gathering of Juncos yet this winter with at least 26.  As I
watched birds feeding throughout the day, I noticed that some of the male
American Goldfinches are starting to show some brighter shades of yellow.

Later, I went out to fill BOSS feeders this afternoon and as I approached a
pole on which some were hanging, a White-breasted Nuthatch landed on a suet
ring that was also hanging from the pole.  I was about 5 feet away and got a
great look from that distance.  I watched for just a moment since the wind
was howling and it was miserable.  I moved closer and the Nuthatch ignored
me.  Finally I reached out, took the ring in my hand, and turned it to get
incredible close up looks.  It continued to ignore me and pecked at the ring
as if I weren't there.  I was struck by how much red there was underneath
and behind the legs.  Also, it had fluffed its feathers (an insulation
trick?) so that it looked round and plump instead of sleek as I usually
think of Nuthatches.

Enjoy the snow birds!

Jerry