[bcbirdclub] Re: Sharp-shinned Hawk

  • From: GaryPoteat@xxxxxxx
  • To: rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx, bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 09:28:16 -0500 (EST)

I liked the shot Roger, it was like he was posing for you with that foot
up.

Gary

In a message dated 11/19/2010 10:13:40 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

This small Sharpie flew into the yard this morning,  putting the birds to
cover, then it found a perch in the tree over the pond.  It sat there for
more than an hour, even staying put when I went around the  house to the
backyard in full view of it.
After awhile the chickadees and titmice flew into the  same tree with it,
scolding it and sometimes being only 4 or 5 feet away  from it. An Eastern
Phoebe was also in the tree keeping an eye on  the hawk. The hawk watched all
of them closely but never tried  for them almost as if it knew it couldn't
catch them when they were fully  alert and ready to fly. It did finally try
for a brave, or  foolish, goldfinch that came to the feeder but missed it.