[bcbirdclub] Re: Say's Phoebe

  • From: Hutch <hutchinson.jeff@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol Birdclub <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Buchanan County Birdclub <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 00:44:28 -0500

A couple of weeks ago, Mike Sanders posted a screenshot of Google Maps
showing where the Say's Phoebe was spotted. A better way of telling people
where a given bird (or other location) is to use one of the on-line
Lat/Long finders and simply provide the coordinates. Someone who wants to
find that location then simply pastes the Lat/Long coordinates into Google
Maps or MapQuest or their smart phone and uses that as their "Destination"
location.

Here are three such sites. I used each to identify the coordinates of the
location indicated for the Say's Phoebe:

http://itouchmap.com/latlong.html
36.931743, -81.953846

http://www.findlatitudeandlongitude.com/
Latitude:36.931744°
Longitude:-81.953849°
36.931744, -81.953849

http://www.latlong.net/
(36.931743, -81.953849)
36.931747, -81.953849

The numerical difference of the locations is a difference of ~1-5
pixels
at the highest zoom level of GoogleMaps: a distance of ~half a meter
on the ground.

The first URL navigates EXACTLY like Google Maps. I have used this website
for nearly 10 years. However, the coordinates appear in two fields (boxes):
you have to copy each value separately.

The second URL is a little easier to navigate around the map (once you get
used to it; NOT like Google Maps), but it gives you the coordinates
separately still, in two lines. It's a little easier to pick up the
Lat/Long than the first: copy both lines and then edit the text slightly to
get the coordinates in the form that GoogleMaps or MapQuest will like. I
have been using this site for ~8 years.

This third site I had not seen before today. You navigate across the map
ALMOST like Google Maps (very slightly different), but the coordinates
appear almost exactly as the map pages want them: Remove the parentheses
and you can paste them into GoogleMaps or MapQuest.

Another thought on this topic. I have been warned about using street
addresses in GPS or other map tools in this area because they don't find
the right places very well, if at all. Provide the lat/long coordinates and
the mapping tools will be able to take you to the EXACT place you want.

My own street address is a good example of this. Using my street address
for directions in either Google Maps or MapQuest takes you about 300 meters
farther up the road (and onto a private road, past a locked gate :-) ).
Using the Lat/Long coordinates takes you directly to my door.

BB,
Hutch

On Sun, Jan 3, 2016 at 3:10 PM, Michael Sanders <hawk036@xxxxxxx> wrote:

The Say’s Phoebe found by Laverne Hunter, Jerry Thornhill, Jane Thornhill,
and Peggy Herbert is still present as of 1:30 this afternoon. The bird is
located on Mountain Road off of Route 80 in Russell Co, VA, I have attached
a photo to help in locating it. The bird is hanging out at the pond as seen
on the map, it took me about 45 minutes to finally see it but it was very
cooperative. It was hunting the field and could be seen on the fence and
fence posts around the pond. Photos can be found here for those interested.
http://www.msandersphotography.com/ebird/h6A5C932C#h6a5c932c

Mike Sanders
Bristol, VA

PNG image