[bcbirdclub] Re: Saturday Birding

  • From: Roger Mayhorn <rogermayhorn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "daryl.owens@xxxxxxxxxxx" <daryl.owens@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Buchanan County Bird Club <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 20:15:42 -0700 (PDT)

As Daryl said, we had a good day of birding here on the mountain, but then
again when is a day of birding ever a bad day? Lynda and I really enjoyed
having Alyssa, and okay, maybe Daryl too, visit and bird with us. Aside from
Daryl and Alyssa getting lifebirds one highlight was finding 5 singing male
Cerulean Warblers on Mary Kelly Rd. While near the Mary Kelly Cemetery we
birded the trail that drops over the hill near the cemetery and runs through an
old farm site. Great birding habitat. Another highlight was watching a hen
turkey hide from us right out in the open in only a small patch of grass. We
got within 25 feet of her and she didn't fly. We assumed that she might have
little ones under her and didn't want to leave. We left her alone, and later
when we returned she, or her little ones (if there were any) were no where to
be found.
At one point a Blue-headed Vireo drove us crazy for a few minutes with a
strange warbling song, that we had never heard before. Interesting. Hearing and
seeing 7 Scarlet Tanagers was a treat. I have attached one of the few photos I
took of them.
Below is our complete list of 54 species.

Daryl, I will go tomorrow and stock up on lots of M&M's.

 54 species
Wild Turkey 2f
Turkey Vulture 1
Red-shouldered Hawk 1