[bcbirdclub] Sat. field trip to Burke's Garden

  • From: "Mindy Waldron" <mwaldron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Ron Canterbury" <roncanterbury@xxxxxxx>, "Roger and Linda Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>, "RG Hypes" <rghypes@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Nancy Hopps" <nhopps@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Nancy and Darrell Ford" <nfoto58@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Mark Mullins" <herdfanmark@xxxxxxx>, "Lori Hindson" <hindsol@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Jim and Judy Phillips" <cne01663@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "James and Becky Taylor" <buggyboy57@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Ira Pat Lilly" <plbl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Ellen Tim Pyles" <etpyles@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Dan Kandas" <dankandas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Dale Suiter" <dalesuiter@xxxxxxxxx>, "Betsy Reeder" <ereeder44@xxxxxxx>, "Ann and Grady McRae" <annamcrae@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Alma and Jim Lowry" <jalowry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Wade Snyder" <dry_fly_fisherman1@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Margaret and Bill Hank" <m-b25951@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Buchanan County Bird Club" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 17:45:02 -0400

Friends,
On Sat. five members of Bibbee Nature Club went to Burke's Garden in Tazewell
Co. Virginia, Alma Lowry, Betsy Reeder, Mark Mullins, Allen and Mindy Waldron.
It was a beautiful day. Cold at first, but bright and sunny and not windy. It
warmed up and the birds were flying
Our list of birds seen were:  46 species
e. towhee
mallard
e. phoebe
n. cardinal
song sparrow
wood duck
t.titmouse
c. grackle
c. geese
red-tailed hawk
c. raven
brown-headed cowbird
red-bellied woodpecker
red-winged blackbird
blue-winged teal
great blue heron
white-breasted nuthatch
black duck
e. meadowlark
e. bluebird
bluejay
e. starling
mourning dove
a. robin
killdeer
turkey and black vultures
c.chickadees
rock pigeons
tree swallow
screech owl, great looks as he slept in a hole in a log over the road.  A
beautiful red phase
cooper's hawk
golden eagle, immature
bald eagle, adult
a. crow
house sparrow
a. kestrel
red-headed woodpecker
slate-colored junco
a. goldfinch
house finch
savannah sparrow
rusty blackbird
downy woodpecker
n. mockingbird
on the way out we saw a belted kingfisher

Mindy Waldron
mwaldron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx