[bcbirdclub] Rusty Blackbird and Unusual House Finch

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 00:36:25 -0500

Hi all,
Today, before the snow started, a single Rusty Blackbird was walking around the
yard looking for tidbits. (I knew it was single because it wasn't wearing a
band).

I also got a call today from Mary Talbott. She and husband Ed the II live next
to the Levisa River at Big Rock. For the past few days they have had a yellow
variant form of House Finch at their feeder. Most House Finches are gray with
some reddish coloring on the head and throat. The yellow and orange variants
have yellow or orange instead of red.
I don't have a photo of a yellow variant, but here are two, the normal red
variety and one of the orange.
As you can see from the band this first bird is not single :)

JPEG image

JPEG image