[bcbirdclub] Rusty Blackbird and More

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 15:49:55 -0500

Hi All,
This morning with 4 inches of snow on the ground and more pouring down, a
single Rusty Blackbird fed under the shrubs here in the yard (no photo). It
tossed leaves aside as it searched for food. This is the first Rusty we have
had here this year. We never get more than three or four.

We also had 5 Common Grackles, 6 Red-winged Blackbirds, 3 Brown-headed
Cowbirds, 7 Cardinals, 5 Eastern Towhees, 5 White-throated Sparrows, 2 Song
Sparrows, a Northern Flicker, a Downy Woodpecker, a White-breasted Nuthatch, 2
Carolina Chickadees, a Carolina Wren, 2 Goldfinches and 7 House Finches.

Here is what it looked like at one point in time our feeder during the morning.

The snow stopped for a moment, the sky got lighter and this female Red-wing
made a good photo subject. Look at her colorful face.

JPEG image

JPEG image