[bcbirdclub] Ruffed Grouse Encounter

  • From: Michelle Talbott <mjtalbott625@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Buchanan County Bird Club <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 09:12:39 -0700 (PDT)

While exploring the wooded area behind school today, I came upon a Ruffed
Grouse walking about 25 feet ahead of me on the trail. Instead of the usual
flurry of wings, I got to observe the bird with my binocs for at least 15
seconds as it calmly walked in front of me. I even followed it for several
steps before it flew away. I also heard three Ovenbirds today, a new warbler
for the area here at work. The NRW Swallows are still hanging around, and a
teacher showed me a Barn Swallow nest outside his door. He said they have been
building one there for several consecutive years.

  Two male Rose-breasted Grosbeaks were the new birds at the feeder this
morning.

  Mom and Dad saw two Northern Harriers at Guesses Fork last week, and the
Ovenbird is making periodic visits to the feeder area in their backyard.

  Michelle

 Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.