[bcbirdclub] Road Trip - Western Tanager, Eurasian Wigeon, Calliope Hummingbird

  • From: Thomas Hunter <opiehunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, buchanan co bc <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, virginia birds <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 15:08:47 -0800 (PST)

Dave Worley and I decided to make a road trip to try and locate some of the
rarities that have been showing up in the eastern parts of Virginia. We left at
5:30am on the 22nd and returned to Russell County at 9:00 pm on the 23rd. We
had 6 target birds: Western Tanager and Eurasian Wigeon in Williamsburg;
Painted Bunting and Townsend's Solitaire in the Harrisonburg area; Calliope
Hummingbird in Lynchburg; and Short-eared Owl in several locations. The first
day was easy as we went 3 for 3. We picked up the Western Tanager, Eurasian
Wigeon and Short-eared Owl. The second day was more challenging and thanks to
the Calliope Hummingbird we were not skunked. I have posted some of the trip
photos on pbase at the following address:

http://www.pbase.com/opiehunter/road_trip

Tom Hunter
Tom & Laverne Hunter
Russell County Bird Club