[bcbirdclub] Red-tailed Hawk Nest at Vansant

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 00:17:08 -0400

Yesterday afternnoon Lynda and I stopped at the Magic Mart in Vansant, VA. As
we got out of the vehicle I spotted a rather large nest in the fork of a tree
high upon the mountain. As I started to look at the nest with binoculars, I saw
a Red-tailed Hawk glide from it. The hawk circled a few times then headed
downriver. I couldn't see any young in the nest, but then I was below the nest
looking upward.

For anyone who may be near that location and want to see the nest here are
directions on how to locate the nest from the Magic Mart parking lot.
Stand facing the main doors of the store front. On the building are the large
words that say "Magic Mart". Look at the first M then let your eyes move upward
until you are looking at the far mountain across the river. Follow a straight
line upward nearly to the ridgeline. You will see the dark nest in the tree
fork standing out against the new spring green of the surrounding foliage. As
the trees get more of their leaves it may be difficult or impossible to
continue to see the nest.