[bcbirdclub] Recent Sightings

  • From: "Jerry Thornhill" <mjt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Buchanan Birds'" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 08:53:36 -0400

Yesterday Jane & I birded along River Mountain Road (Route 640) from
Blackford toward Lebanon.  We had a tree "full" of Eastern Kingbirds (5 of
them), and a Double-crested Cormorant in Big Cedar Creek.  We don't see many
DCC's in Russell County.  My only previous recollections are birds on Laurel
Bed Lake.

This morning, I walked up the mountain on Hayters Gap Road (VA 80).  I
spotted a female Orchard Oriole, a first for me around home.  I also saw a
Cedar Waxwing that had a large yellow spot just behind its left wing.  The
yellow was as bright as its tail band.  I've never noticed this on a waxwing
before.  Is it something others have seen?  I regret no picture, but I
didn't take the camera with me.  I realize this opens me to all manner of
character attacks from a certain newsletter editor, but I wanted to see if
anyone else had seen this.

Jerry