[bcbirdclub] Recent Birds

  • From: "Jerry Thornhill" <mjt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'BCBC Listserve'" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 18:22:12 -0400

Last night, Jane & I drove up to the top of Clinch Mountain on VA 80 to
listen for Whip-poor-wills.  We were not disappointed as we were serenaded
by at least four birds.

Today she had some things she needed to take to her sister in Tannersville
so we decided to go by way of the Cove and get a little birding in.
Highlights included many Orchard and quite a few Baltimore Orioles, several
Bobolinks, a Golden Eagle, a beautiful Red-headed Woodpecker who flew down
the road right in front of the car and landed in a tree about 15 yards in
front of us, a pair of Lesser Yellowlegs, and four Solitary Sandpiper (2
together belying their name).  We had 43 species in the Cove area and as we
drove across the mountain on VA 91, we added another 8 for 51 species on the
day.  As small town papers are want to say, "A good time was had by all."

Jerry