[bcbirdclub] Rabies in Tazewell County VA

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 15:00:52 -0400

Today I received a copy of an article that appeared yesterday in the Bluefield
Daily Telegraph. According to the article the rabies disease has become
widespread in Tazewell County with seven confirmed cases of rabid animals
having been found there so far this year. This is something we need to keep in
mind If we hike, bird or hunt in that area. Anyone coming upon an animal that
is acting strangely should get clear of the animal and call the Tazewell County
Animal Control at 276 988-4160. If anyone is bitten by an animal that may
possibly have rabies, medical attention should be sought immediately since
"untreated exposure to rabies is almost always fatal".

Thanks to BCBC member and good friend Ann McCrae for sending me the article.

Enjoy the birds, but stay safe.