[bcbirdclub] Re: RCBC Cove Field Trip

  • From: Daniel Kendrick <kendridge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "mjt@xxxxxxxxxxx" <mjt@xxxxxxxxxxx>, buchanan county bird club <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2014 18:28:18 -0400

Jerry,
Unfortunately my arms are way too short to fly and besides, with all of the
beers that I had to drink in Magee to survive with your group, my stomach would
have weighed me down any way.
 Dan
From: mjt@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bcbirdclub] RCBC Cove Field Trip
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2014 17:24:24 -0400

Tom Hunter, Don Carrier, Daryl Owens, John Kelly, Shari Hiter, Tom Fletcher,
Jane Thornhill, and Jerry Thornhill birded the Cove area of Tazewell County.
This is an annual RCBC field trip and one of the most birdy ones.  It’s such a
good trip that Tom Fletcher flew in from Salt Lake City, UT to participate.
Looks like Dan Kendrick could make a similar effort.  The birds did not
disappoint.  The group had 76 species for the day including some birds that
were seen by the participants as they traveled to or from the trip.  Some
highlights include a very cooperative Blue-winged Warbler, a very territorial
Kentucky Warbler, Red-headed Woodpeckers in two different locations, Bobolinks
(the bird that inspired this trip), both orioles, and five vireo species.  I
will post a more complete report to the RCBC web site at a later date.  A
complete (as far as I know at this time) list follows. Jerry ThornhillRCBC
Canada GooseWood DuckMallardWild TurkeyGreat Blue HeronBlack VultureTurkey
VultureSharp-shinned HawkRed-tailed HawkKilldeerMourning DoveYellow-billed
CuckooRuby-throated HummingbirdBelted KingfisherRed-headed
WoodpeckerRed-bellied WoodpeckerDowny WoodpeckerHairy WoodpeckerNorthern
FlickerPileated WoodpeckerEastern Wood-PeweeWillow FlycatcherEastern
PhoebeGreat Crested FlycatcherEastern KingbirdLoggerhead ShrikeWhite-eyed
VireoYellow-throated VireoBlue-headed VireoWarbling VireoRed-eyed VireoBlue
JayAmerican CrowCommon RavenNorthern Rough-winged SwallowTree SwallowBarn
SwallowCarolina ChickadeeTufted TitmouseWhite-breasted NuthatchCarolina
WrenBlue-gray GnatcatcherEastern BluebirdWood ThrushAmerican RobinGray
CatbirdBrown ThrasherNorthern MockingbirdEuropean StarlingCedar
WaxwingOvenbirdBlue-winged WarblerKentucky WarblerCommon YellowthroatAmerican
RedstartYellow WarblerYellow-breasted ChatEastern TowheeChipping SparrowField
SparrowGrasshopper SparrowSong SparrowScarlet TanagerNorthern CardinalBlue
GrosbeakIndigo BuntingBobolinkRed-winged BlackbirdEastern MeadowlarkCommon
GrackleBrown-headed CowbirdOrchard OrioleBaltimore OrioleHouse FinchAmerican
GoldfinchHouse Sparrow